Keflavik Airport marks the development of its German connections with the launch of Icelandair’s inaugural flight to Berlin Tegel. Despite the recent loss of airberlin from its airline roll call, the Icelandic airport is experiencing an immediate reaction to fill lost capacity, celebrating the decision by its home-based a three times weekly service to Berlin’s main international airport.
As Keflavik’s third largest country market, behind only the UK and the US, the gateway currently has nearly 6,400 weekly seats on offer to Germany. With connections spread across five of the country’s airports, Keflavik is linked to Frankfurt, Munich, Berlin Schonefeld, Berlin Tegel and Hamburg. Filling the gap left by the loss of the airberlin’s capacity, Icelandair’s latest operation joins its existing daily flights to Frankfurt and Munich, and a twice-weekly service to Hamburg. Iceland’s low-cost carrier, WOW air, also operates daily links to Frankfurt and Berlin Schonefeld, so Icelandic carriers now have almost 95% of all scheduled seats from Keflavik to Germany – the remaining 5% operated by Lufthansa from Frankfurt.
Hlynur Sigurdsson, Commercial Director, Keflavik Airport states: “Today’s launch is a very clear signal that we’re committed to ensure our passengers continue to experience optimum choice and feel no effect of recent losses. We worked quickly with Icelandair to fill the gap in one of our strongest countries markets, and alongside our other closely-held airline partners, we’re ardent in our approach to meet demand.”
Utilising carrier’s fleet of 183-seat 757-200s on its new link to Berlin Tegel, the 2,404-kilometre sector becomes Icelandair’s 32nd destination from Keflavik.